How To Use a Drill Press Vise: Beginners Guide
A drill press vise is an essential tool nowadays which you can use for various purposes, but it’s essential to know how to use a drill press vise. In this guide, we will show how to use a drill press vise, besides how to attach a drill the vise without trouble.
Moreover, this will give you a clear conception of the machine, and you won’t have any further problems dealing with the gadget even if you’re not a professional.
So, let’s delve right in!
Table of Contents =>
- 7 Easy Steps On How To Use A Drill Press Vise:
What is a drill press vise used for?
If you’re looking for professional uses of a drill machine, you should watch the list:
- Drilling or Cutting
Sometimes, you can keep that at home to cut small holes, screwing, & other drilling work.
There are some primary & secondary divisions in using a drill; those are:
- Attaching a drill press vise, and
- Applying the machine
Cost: The drill press vise parts come in whole as a package, but the price varies due to different brands. The purchase price range is between $20-$60 usually.
Time: The time depends on the size of your drill & what things you want to do. However, it won’t take more than half an hour.
Parts of Drill Press
Blades that cut holes or create holes, a small wheel that makes it spin, clamp or jaws that hold, a handle you need to hold, etc.
Let’s see how can you attach the drill press step by step:
- Set the scattered parts of your gadgets because that’s the first thing you’re supposed to do, joining all the items.
- Secondly, you must place the vise properly; please take care of the alignment & maintain that with the workpiece.
- It would be better if you take a table’s help, but you have to measure the alignment more carefully if that’s not available. Moreover, you should screw the vise well so that it’s accurate.
Once you set the vise correctly, you’re ready to use it to do your tasks; let’s see how you can use it:
7 Easy Steps On How To Use A Drill Press Vise:
Step 1: Pointing or Marking the Spot
You have to point out all the spots you want to drill because you can’t make holes anyways. So instead, you can take a marker and point out the spots with a big X mark, preventing any mistake.
Step 2: Putting the Workpiece Between the Jaws
Well, the vise jaws clamp the workpiece tightly no matter what and help to drill. So, you should open the jaws and place the workpiece between them; you have the option to control the holding angle. Therefore, place the workpiece at the correct angle.
Step 3: Closing the Vise Jaws
Once you have placed your desired thing in the jaws, you can close the jaws so that the workpiece doesn’t get slipped. Next, you can rotate both of the vise jaws anticlockwise and tighten the vise drill.
Step 4: Setting the Speed
Well, you can set the drilling or rotating speed as much as you want in the drill press vise, but every element has some suitable speed to drill. So if you want, you can take help of the manual, but set the speed & check if it’s okay.
Step 5: Setting the Alignment
You would not want any mistake in cutting; therefore, you must check the alignment for the last time.
Step 6: Gauging the Depth of Hole
You can check the depth of the hole before digging or cutting it, no matter how much the depth will be or what material it is. The measuring gauge will help you to calculate the depth.
Step 7: Starting Drill
If you have completed the steps above, you’re all set to start the drill machine; turn on the switch. Keep running your machine down until your drilling is done to the desired depth or hear a clicking sound.
Thus, your work is done the job & it doesn’t take very long; moreover, it is not challenging to use a drill press. All you need is to be careful & fulfill all the steps correctly.
How Should You Choose Best Drill Press Vise?
You should check some features and qualities of a drill vise before you buy them because considering each of them is necessary; let’s make a list:
- First of all, you need to check the construction style because how long it will last depends on the making mechanism of the drill vise. Please ensure that the machine is strong enough & the parts are of high quality.
- Secondly, you should notice that if your chosen vise drill is compatible with most angles & materials or not, it would be beneficial if your drill easily copes up with most workpieces.
- You have to check the distance from the vise to the jaws, also known as throat depth. First, however, you should buy a vise drill with a decent throat depth that can cut a handsome amount of workpiece.
- The next thing to check is the jaws, and you must ensure that you have chosen a tool with strong jaws that can clamp or hold things perfectly. So again, you have to check multiple products & then choose the most suitable one.
- However, next, you must look properly at the vise drill’s raw materials because its performance depends much on that. The shape of each part & materials used in the drill press is always understood by watching or seeing the product details.
- Lastly, you must check the weight, but that will vary due to the type. For instance, a heavy-duty drill would be much heavier than usual ones. Anyway, a drill press vise can weigh up to 50 pounds, but you should choose according to your comfort.
You will never have any problem buying, fixing, or using a drill press vise if you read the whole thing attentively.
But you will have to keep everything in your mind; moreover, it’s better to choose one from a renowned brand and read the manufacturer’s instructions first.
You can watch YouTube tutorials on how to use a drill press vise accurately; thus, you can watch how experts use it and learn the techniques.